Re: Asus K7V motherboard and Promise RAID bios patch on Linux?

Lee Braiden wrote:

I'm thinking of patching my Asus K7V motherboard (which has a promise ATA-100 controller onboard) with a modified Promise BIOS that allows it to become a RAID controller. This can also be done by grounding one of the chip's pins, whereupon the BIOS will recognise the controller as RAID and use it accordingly, but the modified BIOS doesn't bother with the check, and just works without hardware modification.

So what I'm wondering is: if I modify the BIOS so it thinks it's a RAID chip, will Linux recognise it as RAID, or does it bypass the Promise BIOS anyway?

The "RAID" chip on most motherboards, including the K7V, is really done by a software driver. You can do software RAID in linux from any IDE channels, making the "RAID" chip uselesss. However, some of the RAID motherboards have extra IDE channels. This IS useful, as you can add more disks to your array.

Bob