Re: Building a custom version of wget

John Kirkland wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I'm fairly new to debian (having used Mandrake for a few years), but
> find myself in need of a little help.
>
> Using the apt tools, I'd like to rebuild "wget" to enable the
> downloading files greater that 2GBytes in size. I understand that it's
> required that I pass "-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 " as an option to the
> compiler.
>
> I assume this has to be done using a parameter to apt-build, but I don't
> see where it can be passed. I've gotten as far as "apt-build install
> wget". This has worked successfully, but obviously, without the large
> file support.
>
> Any hints/help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Personally, I would 'apt-get source wget', change into the resulting
directory, and modify the call to configure inside of debian/rules.
I would also add a new entry to debian/changelog with a /different/
version number, so that you don't collide with whatever is in the
official repository.  For example, the current version of wget is
1.9.1-11 (in Sarge).  I would add a changelog entry (you can do this
by copying one already in there, or using debchange --version <num>)
with the version number 1.9.1-11.0sanchez1.  This will make sure that
future revisions from Debian have the opportunity to upgrade yours
(you prevent that frmo happening by placing the package on hold in
your package management program).  This also lets you make additional
changes to the same version by incrementing the very last number.
Let me know if any of this does not make sense.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr