Re: Firefox and MIDI

On Saturday May 14 2005 05:02, Jim Hall wrote:
> A user needs MIDI to work in Firefox. I installed
> kernel-image-2.6.8-686, then ALSA. Ran alsaconf. Everything seemed fine,
> but no MIDI in Firefox. Can't find a plugin. Is there any way to make
> Firefox recognize and use ALSA?

Can you play MIDI files with pmidi? You'll have to do some setup work before
you hear any sound unless you have a hardware synth attached to the
soundcard.

This did help me to get MIDI working:
http://houghi.org/user/ch19s09.html

The article seems to change locations every now and then, I've had at least
three locations go invalid over time. Searching for "ALSA and MIDI" on Google
usually does the trick, the page title should be "19.9. ALSA and MIDI".

If you're interested in better MIDI quality than most consumer soundcards can
handle, I recommend you have a loot at timidity which can also be used as a
synth for ALSA:
http://timidity.sourceforge.net/

Sets of MIDI patches can be found all over the net. I use the Titanic
Soundfont, but that's too big for most cards and needs quite some CPU power.
There are smaller ones that can be loaded with sfxload, but don't expect too
much (Creative usually ship an 8MB Soundfont on their driver discs).

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de