Re: Debian and Bootslash, a Paradox?

No I followed that advice exactly - and unfortunately it didn't work. (Even though I did an apt-get remove --purge ".*bootsplash.*" and then reinstalling it via apt-get). After doing this I still get the same output:

 dpkg: error processing bootsplash-theme-newlinux (--configure):
  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
 dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bootsplash:
bootsplash depends on bootsplash-theme-newlinux | bootsplash-theme; however:
   Package bootsplash-theme-newlinux is not configured yet.
   Package bootsplash-theme is not installed.
Package bootsplash-theme-newlinux which provides bootsplash-theme is not configured yet.
 dpkg: error processing bootsplash (--configure):
  bootsplash-theme-newlinux
  bootsplash

The problem seems to be that after an earlier syntax error in some of the postinstallation scripts, dpkg now doesn"t recognize the shared/bootsplash-theme template. As was suggested in the earlier thread, I"ve commented out all instances of "db_register/db_unregister shared/bootsplash-theme" in the /var/lib/dpkg/info/bootsplash-theme-*.{postinst,prerm} scripts. This allows the theme packages to finish installing, but the bootsplash package still won"t install:

$ dpkg --configure bootsplash
Setting up bootsplash (3.1-10) ...
dpkg: error processing bootsplash (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10

[quote]

Is it possible to find a permanent solution to this problem?

If there accours this error when you try to update the themes:

Setting up bootsplash-theme-newlinux (0.5-5) ...
dpkg: error processing bootsplash-theme-newlinux (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10

you should modify the prerm scripts located under
/var/lib/dpkg/info/bootsplash-theme-*.prerm and comment out the
line with db_unregister. after that you should do an apt-get remove
--purge ".*bootsplash.*". afther this is done you should now be able to
install all the bootsplash themes and bootsplash as normal. this error
was caused by the stupid syntax error in one update before i think, so
dpkg got a little bit confused about shared/bootsplash-theme.

Andrew Schulman wrote:[/quote]

Hi after messing with bootsplash for a while, I became convinced I had
broken it, so I tried uninstalling bootsplash and everything to do with
it and then reinstalling it. But now when I try to reninstall it I get
the following output:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7024788&forum_id=36622
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7025337&forum_id=36622

Hi after messing with bootsplash for a while, I became convinced I had broken it, so I tried uninstalling bootsplash and everything to do with it and then reinstalling it. But now when I try to reninstall it I get the following output:

Snip
[code]
Selecting previously deselected package bootsplash-theme-newlinux.
Reading database. 212901 files and directories currently installed.
Unpacking bootsplash-theme newlinux from bootsplash theme newlinux 0.5-5 all.deb
Selecting previously deselected package bootsplash-theme-kanotix.
Unpacking bootsplash-theme-kanotix from ...bootsplash-theme-kanotix_0.5-5_all.deb...
Selecting previously deselected package bootsplash.
Unpacking bootsplash from ...bootsplash_3.1-11_i386.deb ...

Selecting previously deselected package sysv-rc-bootsplash.
Unpacking sysv-rc-bootsplash from ...sysv-rc-bootsplash_1.0.0-5_i386.deb ...
Setting up sysv-rc-bootsplash 1.0.0-5 ...
Testing if patches apply cleanly...
Patching files...
patching file etc/nit.drcS
patching file etcinit.drc

Setting up bootsplash-theme-newlinux 0.5-5 ...
dpkg: error processing bootsplash-theme-newlinux --configure:
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
Setting up bootsplash-theme-kanotix 0.5-5 ...
dpkg: error processing bootsplash-theme-kanotix --configure:
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bootsplash:
bootsplash depends on bootsplash-theme-newlinux bootsplash-theme; however:
Package bootsplash-theme-newlinux is not configured yet.
Package bootsplash-theme is not installed.[/code]

Which is utterly nonsensical. Bootsplash is marked as a dependency of bootsplash-theme-newlinux. However bootsplash can't be configured, because bootsplash-theme-newlinux isn't configured yet. Bootsplash theme newlinux is marked as a dependency of bootsplash (it needs bootslpash installed before it can be configured correctly) however bootsplash-theme-new-linux can't be configured, because bootsplash isn't properly installed yet. Which is an impossible paradox!

The question is, how do I overcome this seeingly impossible situation?

GJ