Firefox and MIDI

A user needs MIDI to work in Firefox. I installed kernel-image-2.6.8-686, then ALSA. Ran alsaconf. Everything seemed fine, but no MIDI in Firefox. Can't find a plugin. Is there any way to make Firefox recognize and use ALSA?

In another recent thread, part of the advice was to "tell your applications and libraries to use alsa". How do I do that? I thought the installation process took care of that. How do I test this stuff? In case you're wondering, all I care about is playing a CD while I work. Anything else is outside my normal orbit.

What should I do next?

Jim