Re: Please help: Accidentally wiped off the whole hard disk!!!

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 02:32:16PM -0400, Marty wrote:
> Deboo ^ wrote:
> >I accideantally fdisked my linux hard disk  and deleted all
> >partitions, created one single solaris partition.
>
> If you ever ran lilo on a root partition of the disk, then it probably saved
> a copy of the mbr in the /boot directory which can be manually restored with
> a disk editor (for example), although I'm not sure about the multiple disk
> scenario you describe, or about grub.
>
> Furthermore this will only work if you did not repartition the drive after
> running lilo, but even if you did, at least the root partition at that
> time should still be recoverable assuming you didn't do anything fancy in
> the meantime, like resize the root partition with parted.
>
> If all else fails, there are a number of ways to deduce and restore the
> correct
> partition table entries, either manually via inspection of the disk
> contents,
> or using various automatic recovery tools, or even by trial and error.

Just for those of us just following along, can I use fdisk to record
the EXACT information on my currently working systems to a file, and
be sure that file contained enough information to rebuild the
partition table if ever needed? Is there a tool/command to do this?
fdisk has quite a few options so I was courious about some
preventative measures.

Deboo I REALLY hope you get this fixed btw.

--
Angelina Carlton