Re: setting default compiler version

On 5/13/05, Martin Henne <martin.henne@web.de> wrote:
> This is not what I want. Usually, g++ and gcc call a preprocessor.
> I found, that some configure scripts recognize g++/gcc-3.4 as the
> compiler, when I set the environment variables CXX and CC, but
> they complain about /usr/lib/cpp, which is linked to version
> 3.3.x .

The configure scripts are referring to directly to /usr/lib/cpp?  If
so, that's a bug.  The compiler knows what the right preprocessor to
use is, and it should be making that decision.  I wouldn't advise
trying to hack your configuration to get a buggy script to work.

If I'm still misunderstanding your problem, it might help if you
posted more detailed information.  If configure is autoconf-generated,
you could include the configure.ac (or configure.in for older versions
of autoconf), otherwise the configure script itself might be helpful.
The error messages you're seeing would also help, as might a Makefile
or Makefile.in.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh