Re: Internet (Once and for all)

On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:30:44 -0400
"David R. Litwin" <presently42@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is my problem. When I do this (I've done it countless times), the
> ppp0  does not show up in ifconfig. That is the problem. How do I
> solve it?

If you're not getting a ppp0 interface, that simply means you aren't
connecting to your ISP. The cause could be anything from
misconfiguration to wrong username or password, or even that the
Ethernet cable is disconnected. So let's diagnose this.

I'll assume that your Ethernet cable is connected and DSL modem is
turned on (otherwise, pppoeconf would error out and exit). The problem
could possibly be your /etc/network/interfaces file - feel free to copy
mine:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

   # The loopback interface
   # automatically added when upgrading
   auto lo eth0
   iface lo inet loopback

   iface eth0 inet static
          address 192.168.0.2
          netmask 255.255.255.0
          network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255

If you make any changes to /etc/network/interfaces, reboot (actually you
just need to restart the network, but rebooting is probably easier). Try
running "pon dsl-provider" - if it doesn't work, try running it as root
(to eliminate any possibility of a permissions error). If it's working
properly, this is the output you should see:

bob@sonic:~> pon dsl-provider
Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.2

If it still doesn't work, please post the output of "ifconfig" and I'll
get back to you.

By the way, when you ran "pppoeconf", did it give you any error
messages, or did it accept your username/password and exit without
complaint?

best regards,
Robert