Internet (Once and for all)

Alright. I'd really like to get my Internet working so, please, help me.

I have given up on getting Debian to connect me to the internet; so, I downloaded the software from Sympatico, my ISP ( http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&category_id=99&content_id=1138). It says to type in ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up -arp and says that will stop all IP activity. Well, it may... but it is still broadcasting. How do I make it stop? When I use the script /usr/local/bin/start-pppoe (one of the scripts that is part of the software), it says no sir; eth0 still broadcasting. I've tried to get rid of all of the changes that I made (using pppoeconf as well as opening up scripts and putting in things I thought appropriate) and it still won't work. There is also a mysterious inet6 under both the lo (local loopback) and the eth0. How do I get rid of this?

I'd rather not have to completely re-install Debian to get rid of the changes made and use the software. But, if things continue on as they've been going, I may not have a choice.

Can some one help?

I thank you all in advance.

--
—Moose Moose Jam Sausage Meow-Mix.