Re: Internet (Once and for all)

Here is my problem. When I do this (I've done it countless times), the ppp0 does not show up in ifconfig. That is the problem. How do I solve it?

On 12/05/05, Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net> wrote:
Sorry, I missed the beginning of this thread. But I know how to set up
pppoe. Assuming that your Ethernet card is already being detected (as
indicated by ifconfig), do this:

1) As root, run "pppoeconf"
2) When asked for your username, you probably need to put the whole
thing, like "myname@myisp.com" (rather than just "myname")
3) And, of course, supply the password when asked for it.
4) You'll be asked if you want to start up pppoe on boot-up - I prefer
not to. You can start pppoe anytime with the command:

   pon dsl-provider

and stop it with the command:

   poff dsl-provider

A few notes: "dsl-provider" is literally just that. Don't substitute the
name of your ISP, type it exactly as I did above. Also, you probably
don't want to be root to use the pon and poff commands - in that case,
add yourself to "dip" group and relogin (dip - dial-up ip I think). Make
sure /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider is readable by group dip by doing:

  chmod 640 /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

Check the results:

  ls -l /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider
  -rw-r-----  1 root dip 250 Feb 26 10:57 /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider