Re: Kernel Panic on my new custom kernel

On 2005-05-11 06:50:08 +0200, Robert Vangel <vangelr@rfgt.net> said:

Jon Roed wrote:
I recently compiled my own kernel (2.6.10) on my debian system. Now when i try to boot it i get the error message that says :

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)

If anyone knows what cause this, or has any suggestions, please let me know.

Make sure you have your IDE chipset driver compiled in (even having a module & initrd has caused problems for me).

yeah, and I also tend to compile support for the root filesystem (ext3?) directly into the kernel.

Generally, I always compile drivers needed to initially access and boot my system directly into the kernel. (like ide driver, filesys driver, network drivers for a netboot system etc....). All rest can go into modules if you like.

by the way, I guess /dev/hda1 does contain your root (/) filesystem? If not, that might actually be your problem :)