Re: Kernel Panic on my new custom kernel

Jon Roed wrote:
I recently compiled my own kernel (2.6.10) on my debian system. Now when i try to boot it i get the error message that says :

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)

If anyone knows what cause this, or has any suggestions, please let me know.

Make sure you have your IDE chipset driver compiled in (even having a module & initrd has caused problems for me).