Re: rediscovering hardware

According to Tom Allison,

> >> I should expect discover to rebuild the modules.conf file?
> >> (sounds like "Yes").
> >> I take it discover is not able (ever or yet) to modify the modules.conf
> >Modules.conf is there for those modules which are NOT detected automatically,
> >discover dynamically loads all those that ARE detected automatically.
> >

> Oh MY!  We have come along ways since I started using Debian.  I wonder
> were my head was.  Auto detect?  Cool!  I guess I sort of took some time
> off between versions.  Of course starting with Slackware as my first
> distro tends to keep someone on a more hands on manual way of thinking
> about things.

I think discover came about from Progeny's (Bruce & Ian's)
work on their graphical installer.  And as they promised,
they folded their packages back into Debian.

Knoppix still does autodetect better but they have no
compunctions about distributing binary-only modules and
the like and Debian is ultra-clean in that respect.  No slam
intended- just wanted to clarify that Debian is Free in the
sense of source code and copyright, while Knoppix is Free in
the sense of royalties.