Re: Problem Setting DMA

Incoming from Tim Jackson:
> >Normally I keep a copy of .config in the file /usr/src/konfig-2.6.8 and
>
> Being a total newbie to Linux I may be talking complete *!^%  but here goes
> anyway.  Having just compiled a kernel myself I was wondering if this would
> work, copy the original .config file from the /boot directory into the
> kernel source directory and uncomment the relevent line in this file
> manually setting the value to "=y" or "=m" as appropriate.  Re compile with
> the new (old) config file and keep everything crossed.

It does work, for a limited value of "It".  As Josh mentions, copy the
.config from the old kernel and makeoldconfig.

However, hand editing the .config yourself could easily produce
garbage.  Saying Y|M to any single prompt has a cascade effect that
affects other things.  The machinery involved knows what to do, but
likely you don't.

Experiment and see what happens, as long as you've a backout plan.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -