Re: Need Help-YMF724F Sound Card And ALSA

Justin Guerin wrote:

On Sunday 24 April 2005 22:20, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
On Sunday 24 April 2005 03:23, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
On Saturday 23 April 2005 07:21, you wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
On Friday 22 April 2005 04:36, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
On Tuesday 19 April 2005 03:35, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
On Sunday 17 April 2005 08:54, you wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
Copying the list, so others might be able to help

On Saturday 16 April 2005 18:49, you wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
[snip]
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d# dpkg -S /etc/udev/rules.d/50sound.rules
dpkg: /etc/udev/rules.d/50sound.rules not found.
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d#(output not much help is it?)
I did this as root in the given directory looking at the file name and
copying it to the
dpkg command to get the above output.  Strange, isn't it-am I missing
something?

You're missing one very small fact. Files that are created by a package after install are not logged as being part of the install. For example, run dpkg -S on your X config file. It's not packaged, but rather created, so it isn't in the database. Same for this file, apparently, unless it's part of devfsd that wasn't installed. Just out of curiosity, what does dpkg -l devfsd return? If the second character is a 'c', then that means the config files are still present. That could be why the file was present, but not accounted for.
Yep, didn't know that.
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/scripts# dpkg -l devfsd
||/ Name            Version         Description
+++-===============-===============-==============================================
un  devfsd          <none>          (no description available)
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/scripts#
I don't see a "c" in second character. Is this expected? I did an apt-get remove --purge on this file.

[snip]
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d# ps ux | grep arts
root      5446  0.0  0.3  1548  472 pts/6    S+   01:29   0:00 grep arts
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d#

This suggests arts isn't running. There should be a process, running as you, named artsd. Unless, of course, you did this as root. Then, the process won't show up, as you didn't request all processes started by all users. Do it as yourself, and it should show.
Yep, who knows when to root; only Debian knows.
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/scripts$ ps ux | grep arts
lchata 3497 0.1 4.1 30536 5328 ? S 12:07 0:06 /usr/bin/artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -c drkonqi -l 3 -f
lchata    3896  0.0  0.3  1548  468 pts/2    S+   13:18   0:00 grep arts
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/scripts$

ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d# lsof | grep artsd | grep dev
artsd     3161   lchata    0r      CHR        1,3               1928
/dev/null
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d#(means nothing to me)

It means that artsd has opened the file /dev/null. This tells you that artsd is running, but isn't holding on to the sound card device node. Perhaps because it timed out and released it.

Note that being root when running lsof will still list the process artsd, because the default for lsof as root is to list everything, while the default with ps is to list only your processes. If you had done lsof as yourself, you would only have gotten back information on processes running as you.
[snip]
Ok. I will do apt-get remove --purge devfsd.  Check sound.  Then apt-get
remove --reinstall udev.
Check sound.  Then report back results or these actions.
Results:
apt-get remove --purge devfsd-devfsd not installed so not removed.
Perhaps why dpkg -S /etc/udev/rules.d/50sound.rules resulted in not
found if 50sound.rules came from devfs.

Yes, possibly.

apt-get remove --reinstall udev just removed it so ran apt-get install
udev.  lost sys-sounds
Ran alsaconf-still no sound.  Reboted-still no sound.  Ran artsd -a alsa
with this output:
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# artsd -a alsa
ALSA lib confmisc.c:550:(snd_determine_driver) could not open control
for card 0
ALSA lib conf.c:3461:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:387:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3461:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:945:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3461:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3930:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or
directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2068:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#
Am going to apt-get remove --purge udev then install and try everything
again.
Ahhhhhh! Total success at last.  I removed the last of /etc/udev
directory manually that --purge didn't
because 50sound.rules and hcf.rules apparently weren't part of udev then
reinstalled udev.  Played *.ogg,
*.wav files from terminal, loaded KDE, mozilla and ran Yahoo Reuters
video with sound for first time ever.
Had to relink /dev/modem to get wvdial to work but I could handle that.
Looks like I should have tried
purging and reinstalling udev and saved us both a lot of time.
Justin, thanks for staying with me through all this; I really appreciate
you.  I think this newvie has finally
got his fully functional debian system going for him
LenC.

Justin

That is wonderful news. I'm sorry you had to learn this much about your system to get your sound working, but learning stuff like this will never do you any harm.
Yes, I kinda think you planned it that way. And thanks for doing so. However, you may help me further. I'm still losing my symlink /dev/modem->ttySHCF0 on reboot. Udev didn't reinstall the hcf.rules file that was rm by me after purging. I was thinking that I should run bash [options] inputdev.sh to get udev to recognize the symlink and not have to relink on every startup. Don't know which [option] I shoud use; never ran a shell script before. Or should I do something else? I did read man sh BTW but still didn't know what to use. As I remember when I installed my YMF724F modem drivers under woody, I just created the symlink and that was it along with a whole lot of help from Marv Stodolsky, a really nice helpful person as you are.

Justin

Thanks again. I don't know how much of this learning I'll retain but I'll keep the email posting for a while instead of searching debian user list.
LenC.