Re: Need Help-YMF724F Sound Card And ALSA

Justin Guerin wrote:

On Sunday 24 April 2005 03:23, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
On Saturday 23 April 2005 07:21, you wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
On Friday 22 April 2005 04:36, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
On Tuesday 19 April 2005 03:35, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
On Sunday 17 April 2005 08:54, you wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
Copying the list, so others might be able to help

On Saturday 16 April 2005 18:49, you wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
[snip]
Perhaps there is a udev rule or something that keeps setting up the
/dev/dsp node as a link to /dev/dsp.  I would look under /etc/udev.
There are 11 *.rules or *.conf files in /etc/udev.  Most all contain
these entries which, in my iqnorance,
I think would create symbolic links to themselves.  If so, how do I fix???
KERNEL="audio*"         SYMLINK="%k"
KERNEL="dsp*"           SYMLINK="%k"
KERNEL="mixer*"         SYMLINK="%k"

I've got the same thing in my compat.rules file, so if that's where you're pulling those results, that's OK.
That's were it came from.

I also have devfs.rules which show different rules syntax.  Are devfs
and udev compatable?  Rules for devfs:
KERNEL="seq",           NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="audio*",        NAME="sound/%k"
KERNEL="dsp*",          NAME="sound/%k"
KERNEL="adsp*",         NAME="sound/%k"
KERNEL="midi*",         NAME="sound/%k" (partial listing) Seems more
correct than above.

Devfs and udev do similar things, but they are not (to my knowledge) compatible. I've got the same rules in my devfs.rules file, so this shouldn't be causing your problem.

And rules for udev:
# ALSA devices
KERNEL="controlC[0-9]*", NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="hwC[D0-9]*",    NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="pcmC[D0-9cp]*", NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="midiC[D0-9]*",  NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="timer",         NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="seq",           NAME="snd/%k"

I've got the same thing, with the same contents. Not surprisingly, alsa is working for you. ;-)

And the 50sound.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d
KERNEL="audio*",        SYMLINK="%k"
KERNEL="dsp*",          SYMLINK="%k"
KERNEL="adsp*",         SYMLINK="%k"
KERNEL="midi*",         SYMLINK="%k"
KERNEL="mixer*",        SYMLINK="%k"
KERNEL="sequencer*",    SYMLINK="%k"
KERNEL="amidi*",        SYMLINK="%k"
KERNEL="dmmidi*",       SYMLINK="%k"
KERNEL="admmidi*",      SYMLINK="%k"

I don't have this file. What does "dpkg -S /etc/udev/rules.d/50sound.rules" return? That package may be what's causing your problems.
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d# dpkg -S /etc/udev/rules.d/50sound.rules
dpkg: /etc/udev/rules.d/50sound.rules not found.
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d#(output not much help is it?)
I did this as root in the given directory looking at the file name and copying it to the dpkg command to get the above output. Strange, isn't it-am I missing something?

Seems like a lot of conflicting redundancy for Debian apt-get
dependencies to have permitted all to be installed.
I don't know what to do about it, unless someone can tell me what
programs to remove purge and which to reinstall.

Since you're using udev, you can safely purge devfsd. It may be what's causing your recursive links, but I can't be sure of that. Seems to me whatever package installed 50sound.rules is the culprit.
Ok.  Will do.

[snip]

I know how to tell artsd what to use but don't know how to find out what
it is using.  I
did tell it to use alsa at one time but so much has happened since, I
may have changed it.
Also, have to run alsaconf each time I run KDE to get sys-sounds working
again.

Arts is using whatever you told it to use, unless you requested it autodetect. If that's the case, you can either specify it directly and know what it's using, or you can run "ps ux | grep arts" and look for the -a flag. If that doesn't tell you, then try "lsof | grep artsd | grep dev", but make sure arts hasn't released the device node.
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d# ps ux | grep arts
root      5446  0.0  0.3  1548  472 pts/6    S+   01:29   0:00 grep arts
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d#
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d# lsof | grep artsd | grep dev
artsd 3161 lchata 0r CHR 1,3 1928 /dev/null
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/udev/rules.d#(means nothing to me)

[snip]
Do you know if realplayer and play are configured to use arts?  They
probably aren't by default, which means you'll have to either wrap them
with the artsdsp wrapper, or wait for arts to release the lock on the
sound device node, then attempt to play a sound using alsa.  That means
checking the setup of play and realplayer and making sure you tell them
to use alsa, not oss.  I don't know that play can be configured to use
alsa, but I suspect that realplayer can.
No, I don't.  I haven't tried to do this; don't know how.

Each application does this in its own way. I don't use realplayer, so I can't tell you. Perhaps if you post a new thread with this specific question, someone on the list can help.
Ok.

[snip]
Maybe do the purge / reinstall later if nothing else works.  BTW, should
i move oldalsa back to alsa?

Not unless you know you need to. If you solve your problems without doing so, then you can safely delete it. Make sure you keep it around for a few reboots, though, just to be sure. If you know you need it, however, move it back. It seems like things got setup OK without it, since you indicate you've got system sounds, but you didn't move it back yet.
Ok. It stays as is for now.

[snip]
Instead of using the -D option, use the -a option and specify OSS, if you
really want arts to try using oss.  However, since it's working with alsa,
I wouldn't bother.
I'm a little confused here.  Was just trying to get things working tying
alsa with arts.
wasn't intentionally trying to use oss.

OK, then skip trying to get arts running with OSS.

[snip]
Ok.  do you want to comment on the udev/devfs/etc.rules/conf info posted
above before
I before purging/reinstalling udev?

I did comment on it, but you can still purge / reinstall it. However, I'd try simply purging devfsd first, and then udev, if that doesn't work for you. Remember that after you purge devfsd, you've got to restart udev. The best way to do that is a reboot, though it's strictly not necessary.

[snip]
For now, I'd settle on getting realplayer sound working.  I guess I need
to read  the man
files on the other players/etc to set up to use arts.  Haven't attempted
this yet; didn't even
know I had to .  I can't burn CD's.  Would like to be able to play
vidoe/audio CD's.  That's
about it.

Start a new thread for each problem, and give it an informative subject. Give exact error messages of things you've tried, and let people know what you've done to try to solve the problem yourself. Or, if you're clueless as to where to start in trying to solve the problem, just say so, and people will give you links to all sorts of resources.
Ok.

Let me know if you choose the latter path, and if purging and reinstalling
udev does you any good.
Will do purge/reinstall udev after seeing yor commments on the udev
rules posting and its
the only thing left to try or any other suggestion you post.  I'm
especially interested in any
comments you have about the apparent conflicts between the different
rules in udev for setting
symbolic links and how this might be avoided in future when upgrading/
dist-upgrading with
apt-get.

Justin
Thanks so much for staying with me on this sound issue.
LenC.

My hunch is that your conflicts between the different rules in udev for setting symbolic links comes from a different package, perhaps devfsd. I can't verify that now, though. Post the output of the dpkg -S command, and that should clear it up.
Ok. I will do apt-get remove --purge devfsd. Check sound. Then apt-get remove --reinstall udev.
Check sound.  Then report back results or these actions.
Results:
apt-get remove --purge devfsd-devfsd not installed so not removed. Perhaps why dpkg -S /etc/udev/rules.d/50sound.rules resulted in not found if 50sound.rules came from devfs. apt-get remove --reinstall udev just removed it so ran apt-get install udev. lost sys-sounds Ran alsaconf-still no sound. Reboted-still no sound. Ran artsd -a alsa with this output:
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# artsd -a alsa
ALSA lib confmisc.c:550:(snd_determine_driver) could not open control for card 0 ALSA lib conf.c:3461:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:387:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3461:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:945:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3461:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory ALSA lib conf.c:3930:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2068:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#
Am going to apt-get remove --purge udev then install and try everything again. Ahhhhhh! Total success at last. I removed the last of /etc/udev directory manually that --purge didn't because 50sound.rules and hcf.rules apparently weren't part of udev then reinstalled udev. Played *.ogg, *.wav files from terminal, loaded KDE, mozilla and ran Yahoo Reuters video with sound for first time ever. Had to relink /dev/modem to get wvdial to work but I could handle that. Looks like I should have tried
purging and reinstalling udev and saved us both a lot of time.
Justin, thanks for staying with me through all this; I really appreciate you. I think this newvie has finally
got his fully functional debian system going for him
LenC.

Justin