Re: SSH Blocking

Nick Miller wrote:
Hello All,

I maintain a couple of exim mail servers on the Internet and I have noticed that a lot of people will try to gain access to these machines by trying multiple SSH logins with all sorts of names. I am wondering if there is an option in SSHD to block an IP after a certain amount of failed login attempts as any user?

Thanks for any advice,

More trouble than it's worth. If they're not getting in, they're not getting in. Limit those who can legitimately login by ssh, insist that they *must* use strong passwords, and that's the end of it. Do not ever allow root logins. Don't have simple generic account names like 'guest'. The well-known account names such as 'mail', 'daemon' and so on cannot ever login.

If you can limit IP addresses, so much the better. It's probably safe to say there's a large part of the world from which nobody will ever legitimately ssh in. Many of the probes come from a few blocks. Blocking by iptables rather than tcpwrappers will save a little in resources.