Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

Angelina Carlton wrote:

On Friday 22 April 2005 16:11, Clive Menzies wrote:

This is the source of your problem /var is used by the system when
installing and configuring packages, it is NOT for data (other than
logfiles) - put all your data under /home.

I have apache running on Debian 3.0, it installs to /var/www
When I installed Apache sometime in 2001, I felt uncomfortable with the default DocumentRoot location under /var. After a fairly long discussion on this list, it was pretty much agreed /var was the wrong place. Consensus was harder to reach on where it should be. Enough votes came in for /usr/local/lib/www that I put it there. Under FHS2.3 (2004)[1], I might locate it in /usr/local/share/sgml/www.

As far as I can read it, *all* configuration files belong under /etc.

cheers,

gary

[1]  <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html>

--
Anyone can build a usable web site.  It takes a graphics designer to
make it slow, confusing, and painful to use.