? hdc: write_intr: Wrong Transfer Direction!

I don't know how I created this problem. I had been trying unsuccessfully to burn a cd with xcdroast which did not like the lack of scsi emulation in my kernel-2.6.8. Next workbone played an audio cd in the cdrom drive but there was no sound. Then I moved the audio cd to the cdrw drive and pointed workbone at this drive. Workbone played the audio cd with sound, no problem, from the cdrw drive so there is nothing wrong with the alsa sound setup. I resorted to rebooting to Windoze where the cd player played the audio cd in the cdrom drive with sound, no problem. Finally I rebooted to Sarge with the 2.6.8 kernel and again there was no sound using the cdrom drive.
Dmesg gives that hdc: write_intr: Wrong Transfer Direction! message.

How can I correct this problem?

Tom George