Re: hardware recommendations (mobo)?

On 23:00, Wed 20 Apr 05, Ricky Ng-Adam wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm looking into a home-built server for a small intranet, mostly for
> file sharing and running a few web server applications (Java servlets).
>
> I've been looking around for affordable hardware components with modern
> features (SATA, GB LAN, etc) and found that the biggest question about
> compatibility with Linux seems to be centered around the motherboard.
>
> I'd like one that has a socket 939 (for an AMD 64+ CPU) and features
> oriented toward servers (serial console?).  I particularly would like a
> motherboard where ALL of the chipset and on-board features work for once!
>
> I've been googling a lot and most reviews or users comments out there
> seem to start with "This mobo is perfectly compatible with Linux" where
> "perfectly" is defined as thermal monitoring not working, GB LAN broken
> and most things on-board not tested... The rests are counter-indication
> ("don't buy this mobo for this or this reason...")
>
> So, does anyone who has tested a recent mobo in-depth have a recommendation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ricky

You ask some really good questions, most of the socket 939
boards might not fit your requirements. You might want to
search the archives for the amd64 mailing list for
more substance. A while ago they had a very good thread
about raid and software raid under Linux. It turns out that
most instances are found to be problematic, designed to be
used under dos, or windows.

If you are willing to use another socket, such as socket 940
your chances are better for having more on board stuff
working out of the box.  You will almost have to go
component by component, as some SATA devices do not work as
advertised, same with some nics. As hard as it might seem
maybe holding off, or building a socket A system with 32 bit
might be an option, you can pick up cpus, and motherboards
for a song as they are pushing the newer sockets.

Gnu_Raiz