Re: hardware recommendations (mobo)?

On 4/21/05, Ricky Ng-Adam <rngadam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm looking into a home-built server for a small intranet, mostly for
> file sharing and running a few web server applications (Java servlets).

I'm curious - is there already an AMD64 port of the J2EE suite? If not
- you'd better off using 32bit mode.

> I've been looking around for affordable hardware components with modern
> features (SATA, GB LAN, etc) and found that the biggest question about
> compatibility with Linux seems to be centered around the motherboard.

Problem is that many mobo manufacturers bundle "fakeraid" SATA RAID
components into their motherboards. Couple it with other lemon
hardware - and you've got a recipe for partial compatibility to Linux.

> I'd like one that has a socket 939 (for an AMD 64+ CPU) and features
> oriented toward servers (serial console?).  I particularly would like a
> motherboard where ALL of the chipset and on-board features work for once!

Most of boards that have server-oriented features are the socket 940
AMD64 Opteron boards. More expensive than the Athlon64s given that
these only take ECC RAM.

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com