Re: upgrade from 2.4 to 2.6: unknown symbols

On 2005-04-21, Paolo Alexis Falcone penned:
> On 4/21/05, Monique Y. Mudama <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:
>> I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from 2.4.24-3 to 2.6.10-6.  I
>> used exactly my normal kernel upgrade procedure, including copying
>> over the old .config and running `make oldconfig`.  I didn't even
>> bother with `make menuconfig`.  I also installed module-init-tools.
>
> The config file used by 2.6 is quite different compared to the 2.4
> series. No wonder you've got a lot of unknown symbols. Try to
> recompile using a fresh config file.

Not *that* different.  I was able to fix the unknown symbols by making
some stuff part of the kernel, instead of building them as modules.  See
my followup to my original post for details.

I don't know about you, but I've been refining my .config files for
years, and carting them from machine to machine.  Just giving them up
... it wouldn't be right.

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers: