Re: upgrade from 2.4 to 2.6: unknown symbols

On 4/21/05, Monique Y. Mudama <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:
> On 2005-04-21, Paolo Alexis Falcone penned:
> > On 4/21/05, Monique Y. Mudama <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:
> >> I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from 2.4.24-3 to 2.6.10-6.  I
> >> used exactly my normal kernel upgrade procedure, including copying
> >> over the old .config and running `make oldconfig`.  I didn't even
> >> bother with `make menuconfig`.  I also installed module-init-tools.
> >
> > The config file used by 2.6 is quite different compared to the 2.4
> > series. No wonder you've got a lot of unknown symbols. Try to
> > recompile using a fresh config file.
> >

> Not *that* different.  I was able to fix the unknown symbols by making
> some stuff part of the kernel, instead of building them as modules.  See
> my followup to my original post for details.

I dunno about your configs - but as far as I know I have the same
items you built in to the kernel as modules.

> I don't know about you, but I've been refining my .config files for
> years, and carting them from machine to machine.  Just giving them up
> ... it wouldn't be right.

The 2.6 kernel configuration introduces new configs and configuration
dependencies - it's not just as simple as transplanting .config files
made for 2.4 directly to 2.6 as there would always be hiccups doing
that without manipulating the dependencies.

I don't recall having been able to directly cart my kernel 2.2 configs
to 2.4, or 2.4 to 2.6 without encountering module warnings or even
kernel panics. It was much easier to build from a clean slate, as from
there it's much easier what modules/functionality needs and would
activate.

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com