Re: undeletion on ext2

On Wednesday April 20 2005 8:39 am, Olive wrote:
> Midnight commander has the hability to undelete file on a ext2
> partition. However the interface is not very good and I see no
> possibility to handle it by scripts (since we do not have the
> filename anymore; it would be nice if we could undelete many files
> at once and do a grep on these). Is there a command line program to
> do this.

Easiest way I know how (and the one I use):

1) Mount your backup
2) Copy backed up version of file back into position on the
filesystem.
3) Unmount your backup, return it to it's safe place.
4) Think twice, delete once next time.

There's other methods involving manipulating inodes that can be found
on Google, but odds are unless you actually try to recover the file
right then and there, you're not getting it back.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca