Re: Nvu finally in sarge

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 06:28 pm, Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 April 2005 21:34, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > Last I looked, you couldn't compose in Quanta in a true WYSIWYG fashion.
>
> Yes, Quanta has a wysiwyg mode, but it's pretty basic, unfortunately.  I
> haven't tried table-based stuff in a long time, but it's certainly quite
> impotent in terms of modern XHTML/CSS in wysiwyg etc.  I downloaded and
> compiled NVu when I first heard about it, hoping it would be better, but it
> wasn't much different.  I suppose I'm just expecting too much from them.
>
> > Some people do best coding by
> > hand, but some do best building web code when they can do it visually and
> > see what they are doing.
>
> Yes.  Note that I'm not trying to push a particular development style here
> at all.  I do personally prefer hand-coding, but only due to the horrible
> code produced by some tools, and my personal inability to keep track of
> code when a GUI changes it behind my back.  Even I find it faster to get
> the basic structure generated by a wysiwyg tool sometimes, though, hence my
> curiosity here.

No, you are not.  I guess you could say I may have been a bit defensive, but
in almost any Linux forum I've seen the topic (or the program Nvu) discussed
in, very quickly someone will start showing off by saying they hand code
HTML, and it seems that, without fail, at least one if not more people will
start arguing about loose tags and malformed HTML, and point out that all
HTML should be hand coded.

I've gotten so sick if such ignorance/intolerance that I decided, for once, to
make the statement I did to try to head it off.

Hal