Re: Nvu finally in sarge

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 03:34 pm, Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Monday 18 April 2005 23:15, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > For those who are interested and have been using nvu from a
> > tarball or from source, the official package is now in Sarge:
>
> Does nvu actually do anything new, that wasn't available in Quanta etc.?
> Seemed very overhyped last time I looked, but maybe I'm missing something?
>
> --
> Lee.

Last I looked, you couldn't compose in Quanta in a true WYSIWYG fashion.  I
know someone in this thread pointed out that WYS changes from browser to
browser, but one point I've made over and over is that there are many
different learning and thinking styles.  Some people do best coding by hand,
but some do best building web code when they can do it visually and see what
they are doing.  Nvu works for them much better than Quanta or any other
program on Linux.  Even though they may have preview modes (and I think
Quanta has some kind of live preview mode), Nvu is the first HTML editor that
provides all the features one needs to create web pages on Linux.  Mozilla
Composer didn't do forms.  Some programs will display in a preview mode, but
if you think visually, coding without seeing it is difficult.  There was also
IBM's WebSphere HomePage Builder, but that only ran with Wine and there were
issues with it and later versions.

I can fully understand why many people want to hand code all their HTML.  What
I can never understand is why so many people (not all, but a very rude vocal
minority -- and no, Lee, I don't mean you at all, here) who hand code their
HTML seem to not understand that what works for them does not work for
everyone.  For those non-hand-coding and visual thinking people that need to
design web pages on Linux, it is wonderful to finally have Nvu on Linux.

Hal