Re: Linux newbie questions

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 23:44 -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> On Monday 18 April 2005 10:01 pm, James C. Hall, MD wrote:

Congrats and good luck!

[snip]
> an idea if it doesnt work on your machine. you can run knoppix off a cd and
> see it you can access  your device there.
>
> before  you do that what to do to try it on your system?
> plug it in.
> as root do
> mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
> and then do
> ls /mnt
> and see if  you see your files.

To follow up on Mitchell's comments, you probably should install
the "2.6" kernel.  Try this:
  # apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-386

(Hopefully, this will alter GRUB for you.  If not, another learning
experience!)

Once you reboot into the 2.6 kernel, install udev.  This package
allows you to write rules of action for each kind of device that
you define.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

An ad run by the NEA (the US's biggest public school TEACHERS
UNION) in the Spring and Summer of 2003 asks a teenager if he can
find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the elements.
And they wonder why people think public schools suck...