Re: Linux newbie questions

On Monday 18 April 2005 10:01 pm, James C. Hall, MD wrote:
> Hello all:
Good luck.
Debian is a fairly high geek level distribution. Practically, that means that
a lot of things need "hands on" massaging to get working.  Are you ready to
become a geek? The other option are 'easier' but similar solutions like
knoppix/ubunto etc.

> I was clicking around the Control Center (KDE), and in Administration,
> there is a section on Kernel - but it comes up with a "Sorry" message that
> an architecture is not listed, and it has a default location of
> /usr/src/linux. I don't have a linux folder at this location - I have
> /usr/src/kernel-header 2.4.27-2-386, and another header without the 386.
> When I navigate to these files, it changes nothing. Where is the kernel ?

Unfortunately, the Best Advice, for this application, at your level is to not
click that button :).

Why? Well for instance, I for once never clicked it. Why did  you :)?

Also when I click it get the same message as you.  Also I see additionally
from the rest of the message -  that the Kernel I am running (2.6.11) is not
supported by that application (2.5 means 2.6) , so I will never be able to
use it.

Of course, neither I (nor you) know why we would want to use this application.
You should only be concerned about things you 'need'...

Now for more information. You asked "where is the kernel?". Not in /usr/src
that is the location of the kernel source....
The kernel is one thing. That lives  usually in /boot in some file like
/boot/vmlinux-2.4.27-2-386
what the Control Center is looking for is the "linux kernel source", or a
subsitute for that sometimes found in debian systems.
 /usr/src/kernel-header 2.4.27-2-386
which is not the source itself but instead "header files" for the source.
If you need to use the kernel headers as a substitute for the the source
itself for some reason then you make a sym link of
/usr/src/linux  to /usr/src/kernel-header 2.4.27-2-386.

man ln (look at -s switch).

> Also, I'm trying to get a USB MP3 player to be accessed. I plugged in my
> Nomad MuVo, power came on, but nothing started up or was declared as a new
> device. The Info applet did recognize the device on USB hub 4, but I don't
> know how to transfer the music files or even listen to the music on the
> player.
Unfortunately many problems with usb devices on linux kernels lately. some
devices dont work without latest kernels. some devices not at all.
i have 5 usb key memory devices. only 4 work under linux. 3 only with the
latest kernels. for instance some of my lexar drives work, some dont.
 i dont have your device to check.

an idea if it doesnt work on your machine. you can run knoppix off a cd and
see it you can access  your device there.

before  you do that what to do to try it on your system?
plug it in.
as root do
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
and then do
ls /mnt
and see if  you see your files.

Also see if there are any radiologists in your hospital who use linux. Because
of pacs we tend to be very computer savvy. They may be able to help :).
M Laks