I do not accept that my WinXP is better than my Debian!

Hi all,

this is certainly the most active NG I ever see for Debian. Let me expose my simple issue, ans tell that spent a day googling and HowToing w/o any positive results.

Problem description:

On a DHCP enabled LAN behind a working SMC7404WBRA I do have a mixture of PCs with either Win OS or customized Debian (Sarge 2.6.8-15). Windows PC's are able to find Debian computers by computer's name (i.e ssh with PuTTy or with ie browser), while Debian machine need the IP address to find another Debian machine for shh or Mozilla.

On the other hand, I've been able to get my samba & apache server working w/o any problems so far... This is just because I prefer name to IP address to easy all my remote session. I have a local DNS issue???? I do not understand and I do not want to blow everything. And I would like to keep DHCP.

Looking for assistance for this little issue anticipated thanks,
JL

Other info:

# cat hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost       GX200

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes