Re: ALSA -sound

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 12:30:16PM -0700, Punit Ahluwalia wrote:

> alsaconf tells me no soundcards found. But, as I said earlier that
> the sound works when I play a CD. So I suppose the sound card is
> configured. It seems to be a wierd problem.
>
> dmesg shows this
>
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4 (Mon May 17
> 14:31:44 2004 UTC).  ALSA device list: #0: ALI 5451 at 0x8400, irq 5
>
> Any suggestions please.

First check that you have the relevant module. It should be here:

/lib/modules/[kernel-version]/kernel/sound/pci/ali5451/snd-ali5451.ko

If it's missing, you'll need to compile it from source or install a
new kernel.

If the module exists, what are the results of
	$ lsmod | egrep "snd|sound"
?

If you don't see "snd-ali5451", try
	# modprobe snd-ali5451

If that doesn't work, it's possible that OSS modules are being loaded
instead of ALSA ones. If "sound" is listed by lsmod, try
	# modprobe -r sound
	# modprobe snd-ali5451

If either of those succeeds, run alsaconf and also check the
documentation:

<http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?module=ali5451>

--
PJR :-)