Re: ALSA -sound

I apologize. Yes, I am running 2.6.07. I had built the kernel from a debian source
package, so I don't think I should have to re-install the kernel again. Honestly, I am
scared to re-install a new kernel as I don't know how many hours I put in to bring the
system to its present stage.

May be I rephrase the problem?

The sound card is seen in the boot process, and is identified.
However Alsaconf reports that it does not see any sound card. Should I compile the sound
card as a module?. Is this an alsa issue as why alsaconf should not find the card once it
reports having found during booting?

I reported earlier that I can play CDs using any of the players. I turnon the alsa-mixer
modules and it emits the sound. Also, when playing a streaming audio or an mp3 on file,
when I turn the volume to maximum, I can hear the hissing sound from the speakers.

Sorry, cant give more hints than that. I am not an expert in this. Will appreciate any
trouble shoot tips.

I will remove alsa completely and reinstall as suggested by you. Will report back.