Re: ALSA -sound

On 4/18/05, Punit Ahluwalia <punit_a@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I apologize. Yes, I am running 2.6.07. I had built the kernel from a debian source
> package, so I don't think I should have to re-install the kernel again. Honestly, I am
> scared to re-install a new kernel as I don't know how many hours I put in to bring the
> system to its present stage.

I still would not be surprised if a newer, Debian-supplied kernel
would fix the problem.  No guarantees, of course.

You should be able to install a new kernel image without hurting your
current kernel.  I would make a backup of your GRUB or LILO config,
and then use Synaptic/apt/whatever to install one of the kernel-image
packages.  If for some reason you need to revert to the older 2.6.7
kernel you have now, you should be able to put it into GRUB or LILO
and boot from it.  If you want to be extra careful, you could backup
the kernel bzImage, System.map and modules you have now instead of
just the GRUB or LILO config.  I don't think that's leaving anything
out, but I should emphasize that I'm not an expert, so I could be
forgetting something.