Re: Help needed on kernel upgrade

My personal recommendation would be to stop right where you are,
download the Sarge netinst.iso, burn it to a CD, and use that to
install Debian.  Make sure you boot the 2.6 kernel from the ISO so the
installer will install the 2.6 kernel by default.  That will get you
an up-to-date Sarge system.  Then if you want to go further to Sid,
you can do that, but this will give you a much better starting point.
I run testing with a few packages from Sid, and everything including
ALSA and nVidia and Ethernet and WiFi (on my laptop) works great.

Good luck.