Re: Help needed on kernel upgrade

Hello

Rogerio D. Nascimento (<raconsult@gmail.com>) wrote:

> I've downloaded and installed woody, then customized the sources.list
> file and successfully upgraded my system to sid ("apt-get update" and
> then "apt-get dist-upgrade").
>
> Then I tried to get rid of the old 2.2.20 kernel that prevents me from
> installing my Nvidia Geforce4 card driver (yes, I've never seen X11
> running on Debian yet). I was so happy to get package
> kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686 installed but felt frustrated realizing that
> my eth0 device had gone.

First of all, the Woody installation kernel is not known to the package
management. To remove it using apt, install the package
kernel-image-2.2.20idepci and remove it again, or remove the vmlinuz
file and the modules directory manually.

Second, where did you get the new kernel from? There are 2.4 kernel
packages available in Woody, but only 2.4.18, not 2.4.27.

> I can see that /boot/config-2.2.20-idepci file has some configuration
> lines regarding my ethernet card:
> CONFIG_RTL8139=y
> CONFIG_RTL8139TOO=m
>
> ... and /boot/config-2.4.27-2-686 has the following eth0-related
> lines: CONFIG_8139CP=m
> CONFIG_8139TOO=m
> CONFIG_8139TOO_PIO=y
>
> My questions:
> 1. How can I make the new kernel recognize my eth0 and home network
> as the old one does?

All you need to do is to load the 8139too driver module. The old kernel
had a compatible driver (rtl8139) built-in, so you didn't need to load
it. Add the module name to /etc/modules. To load it right now, use

# modprobe rtl8139too

> 2. Am I wrong expecting apt-get install kernel-image command to build
> a new kernel with the old hw configuration without such problems?
>
> Sorry about this long e-mail, but I'm trying to get Debian running as
> my Knoppix live-CD does, recognizing all my system hw including usb
> plug-and-play devices, graphics card, etc.

The hardware detection in Knoppix is far better than in Woody. You could
install discover, but I don't know how useful the version in Woody is.
You also should install hotplug, and /maybe/ think about switching to
Debian Sarge, the next version. It has not been released yet, but
depending on what you want to use your computer for, it may be more
useful that Woody.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270