Re: backup package - linux

Stephen R Laniel wrote:
On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 06:32:26AM +0200, Francisco Cesar da Silva wrote:
Does someone know a simple backup algorithm (probably using several disks) that can resurrect a file or a set of files or a whole disk as at an arbitrary date in the past? I'm sure this is standard fare for experienced sysadmins and comsci graduates. I don't mind mothballing a disk and buying an additional disk once a year for example. Perhaps there is a package that manages this sort of thing?

Have you looked into rdiff-backup? It can backup a disk
remotely over ssh, and you can configure how far back it
archives your data. Then you can recover a version of a
given file from a specific date.

Is that what you're looking for?

IIRC rdiff-backup does not support arbitrary date restores, but only from those dates and times on which a backup happened. For arbitrary date restores it seems like filesystem support, at bare minimum some kind of journalling with arbitrary rollback would be required, possibly with an rdiff-backup-like algorithm combined with a journaling filesystem.