Re: backup package - linux

Francisco Cesar da Silva wrote:

>  Does someone know a simple backup algorithm (probably using several
>  disks) that can resurrect a file or a set of files or a whole disk as at
> an arbitrary date in the past?

dirvish might work well for your needs. It takes daily snapshots using
rsync, and uses hardlinks for unchanged files, minimizing disk usage.

Restoring is easy - each snapshot is under a directory named for the date,
and you just do a basic file copy of what you want to restore.

> I don't mind mothballing a disk and buying an additional disk once a
> year for example.

Setup dirvish to store backups on a dedicated disk and to never expire
backups, then replace the disk either periodically or when it gets full.

Adam