Re: Which print system is easiest for connecting to a JetDirect printer?

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Marc Wilson wrote:
> Don't complicate the issue by trying to use HPIJS, or HPLIP (which is
> really intended for multipurpose devices, anyway).  The 4050TN is a
> Postscript printer... treat it like one, and you'll be fine.

This holds true to HP devices with a proper PS interpreter.  Some of the
newer PCL printers like the HP LaserJet 1200 and 1300 *can* handle PS
natively, but it is a *lot* slower than PCL6 for anything other than text
printing.

I don't know where the 4050TN fits in this, but the HPLIP printer table
seems to imply that printer would be happier receiving a PCL stream than
PostScript, which means HPIJS in LJMono mode.

HPLIP is intended for every printer that has some sort of feedback system in
place, not only for MFP devices.  *And* just in case it is not obvious,
HPIJS is now part of HPLIP (even if we do package it separately for obvious
reasons).

  Henrique Holschuh