Re: Which print system is easiest for connecting to a JetDirect printer?

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 5:18 am, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Depending on the LaserJet model, HPIJS + CUPS (or HPLIP + CUPS if you can
> use the HPLIP packages in sid) *is* your best choice.

Linuxprinting claims that hpljis is slower than some other drivers... however
I couldn't confirm that. Linuxprinting.org recommends the ljet4 driver
from foomatic.

I use the laserjet.ppd driver from Cups. Print quality is as good as ljet4
with standard dithering, but not quite as good as hpjis. In terms of picture
quality I'd rank the various drivers 1) hpjis 2)gimp-print 3) was a tie
between ljet4 and laserjet.ppd

As far as speed goes, I couldn't tell any difference between the various
drivers on printing the cups test page. I just printed a 105page document
duplexed at a speed of 5-1/2 pages per minute using the laserjet.ppd over
a 10mb lan connection (the printer is rated at up to 12ppm simplex (printing
twelve copies of the same document)).

One difference was that the margins were usably set on the gimp-print, cups
laserjet.ppd and the hpjis drivers; margin adjustment was required on the
ljet4 driver. Be advised that the Gimp-print drivers do not have any provision
for duplex printing.

--
 If "not buying something" is "in effect, censoring" then I have spent my
 entire life silencing the right of Adam Sandler to speak his mind.