Re: dialup modem connection

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 08:19, jonny dennis wrote:
> iam running sarge on an i386 with a phonic pro external 56kps modem ive
> tryed using wvdial to connect it does returns with the dns addresses but i
> still cant see a web page even when root. so i had a go with pppconfig
> again establishes the connection but i cant see a web page. I tryed to ping
> from a command promt but it trys to use my ethernet connection. is it a
> routing problem? does the modem have to be in the route map?

If the box as a ethernet card installed you will need to set up the system for
a static ip address for the ethernet card. The static setup needs no gateway
ip and no dns ip addresses. If you miss this setup on the install just
install apt-get install etherconf and configure. If you need to run etherconf
again use the command as su dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

                    all the best

                               peter colton