Re: dialup modem connection

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 03:49, Laurent CARON wrote:
>jonny dennis wrote:
>> iam running sarge on an i386 with a phonic pro external 56kps
>> modem ive tryed using wvdial to connect it does returns with the
>> dns addresses but i still cant see a web page even when root. so i
>> had a go with pppconfig again establishes the connection but i
>> cant see a web page. I tryed to ping from a command promt but it
>> trys to use my ethernet connection. is it a routing problem? does
>> the modem have to be in the route map?
>>
>> Send instant messages to your online friends
>> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
>
>seems that your default route is not set to your ISP
Or, the gateway device is not properly set.  You should see something
like this in a route -n output:
root@coyote sysconfig]# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.xx.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.xx.xx    0.0.0.0        UG    0      0        0 eth0

The Flags UG (User Gateway) must be set to both the right Gateway address,
and to the right interface if more than 1 is present.
Neither of the destination or gateway addresses is this box.

In this case the gateway is my firewall boxs eth0, and its Gateway is
set to the address of router, accessable through a different eth1 card,
which handles all the NAT stuffs here.  iptables and a few other guard
dogs sit between the ethernet cards.

Commonly, the best way to autograb the right routing is to use a
demand dial script, and start it before bringing up the rest of
the network stuff so it has already established its dibs on the
default routing. If not that, then you'll probably have to jump
through a few extra hoops near the bottom of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local
(redhat nameing unforch, translate to debian) file and add a couple
of lines to play with the routing that will be fubar if eth0 comes
up first.  I found it was far less trouble to just start the demand
dial script first as everything Just Works(TM) then.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)