Re: Lost all my project data, file recovery tool? Urgent!

Hi Matthias!

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Matthias Kaeppler wrote:

> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Matthias Kaeppler wrote:
> >
> >>Now, before I start sending hate mails to the author/packager, is there
> >>any way to recover deleted data from en ext3 filesystem?
> >

> >First things first: mount it readonly immediately (or leave it unmounted).
> >Image it using dd to a file, and store that away somewhere safe (such as in
> >a DVD media).
> >
> >I will let people with more experience in data recovery tell you how to
> >salvage ext3 inodes (I only did it to ext2 so far).
> >

> Okay, at least I didn't install anything since this happened.
> But there is another problem:
> This partition contains the data from /usr/share and /home and when I
> try to unmount it: Error (device is busy).

init 1
mount -o ro,remount /usr
mount -o ro,remount /home
dd if=/dev/<whatever has the partition> of=/<somewherelese>/dump-of-lost-data.bin bs=1M

remount the stuff rw again,
^D to go back to your usual runlevel.

Then, after that, you can copy that dump to another file and loop-mount it
to do as you please, without futher losing data.

  Henrique Holschuh