Re: redirect apt to local repository

Matt Price wrote:
hacker wrote:

Did you look at apt-proxy?

just did! it looks great, as does apt-cacher, but I would very much like to require no changes to the client machines, which will be moving from the classroom to students' homes very soon. Thes students are mostly absolute newbies, so I'd like to avoid rewriting any conf files if possible.

So probably I need something like a DNS server (which I guess I need anyway) that redirects requests for archive.ubuntu.com to the webserver, which in its turn has a virtualHost listing for that address.

matt

Matt,

i would suggest another DNS than bind. If you need to set one up and haven't looked at bind already, try djbdns (http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html) it's far more secure and the docs are very easy. I'm going to install a dns server too in the near future for my lan and found lot's of positive feedback on djbdns as to security and ease of use compared to bind.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Regards,
Benedict

--
Benedict Verheyen                   Debian User
http://www.heimdallit.be    Public Key 0x712CBB8D