Re: 3d support for ati (long - dmesg output appended)

On 4/13/05, Piero Piutti <chromewave@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the same computer (pretty good despite the crap video card) and
> I'm about to test a procedure found here
> http://emeitner.f2o.org/nx9005

I have followed the tutorial carefully, carrying out the instructions
line by line.
Compilation of the drm kernel module completed successfully, yet the
3d acceleration does not work.  According to glxinfo direct rendering
is not enabled:
adam:~# glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
[...]

I followed the troubleshooting tips on the DRI project's website ad
got immediately stuck. I'm not an expert but it looks like the drm
kernel module fails to load (?) as dmesg reports me a lot of errors. I
am posting here the output (purged of the non relevant infos) hoping
that someone capable of reading and understanding it could help me.
I'm using a non-debian kernel at the moment (2.6.11-ck3 - Con Kolivas)
built with make-kpkg. The ouput of lspci is also provided. Thanks!

adam:~# dmesg
[...]
radeonfb: Retreived PLL infos from BIOS
radeonfb: Reference=14.32 MHz (RefDiv=31) Memory=183.00 Mhz, System=133.00 MHz
radeonfb: PLL min 12000 max 35000
Non-DDC laptop panel detected
radeonfb: Monitor 1 type LCD found
radeonfb: Monitor 2 type no found
radeonfb: panel ID string: LGP Color LCD
radeonfb: detected LVDS panel size from BIOS: 1024x768
radeondb: BIOS provided dividers will be used
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
radeonfb: Dynamic Clock Power Management enabled
radeonfb (0000:01:05.0): ATI Radeon C7
[...]
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected Ati IGP345M chipset
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 189M
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xd8000000
[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.0 20040925
[...]
kobject_register failed for drm (-17)
 [<c0264edb>] kobject_register+0x5b/0x60
 [<c012f511>] mod_sysfs_setup+0x51/0xc0
 [<c0130779>] load_module+0x899/0xb60
 [<c0130a96>] sys_init_module+0x56/0x240
 [<c010272f>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_open
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_open
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_fasync
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_fasync
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_poll
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_poll
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_get_resource_len
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_core_get_reg_ofs
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_get_reg_ofs
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_irq_uninstall
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_irq_uninstall
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_get_dev
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_ioctl
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_ioctl
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_exit
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_exit
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_core_get_map_ofs
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_get_map_ofs
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_init
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_init
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_get_resource_start
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_vbl_send_signals
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_vbl_send_signals
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_cleanup_pci
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_ati_pcigart_init
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_ati_pcigart_init
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_mmap
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_mmap
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_ati_pcigart_cleanup
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_ati_pcigart_cleanup
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_initmap
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_core_reclaim_buffers
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_reclaim_buffers
radeon: disagrees about version of symbol drm_release
radeon: Unknown symbol drm_release
[...]
[...]

and finally:

adam:~# lspci
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device cbb2 (rev 02)
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc PCI Bridge [IGP 340M]
0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI
AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 02)
0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV]
0000:00:08.0 Modem: ALi Corporation M5457 AC'97 Modem Controller
0000:00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus
Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:0b.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
1.1 Controller (rev 50)
0000:00:0b.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
1.1 Controller (rev 50)
0000:00:0b.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 51)
0000:00:0c.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB21
IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
0000:00:10.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c4)
0000:00:11.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU]
0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation
DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
0000:01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon IGP 340M

Again, many thanks for your patience and for any help you could
provide. I'm at a dead end now... :-(
--
Piero Piutti