Re: setting up chroot jail for ssh

Alexandru Cabuz wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on packages to use for setting up an sshd chroot jail. I need just one chroot to which different remote users will login. I did a search through the package lists and found a few packages that can set up chroot jails for various programs. Google also shows one that does not seem to be packaged for debian: jailkit

The Debian packages are

jail
jailer
jailtool
makejail

Also libpam-chroot seems to do something similar though I'm not exactly sure how.

Any advice/experiences on which to use?

My goal is to set up an sftp/scp server on my AMD64 pure64 sid port box to which my friends can login and download/upload music. Since most of them use windows and their machines are mostly loaded with spyware, I thought the best way to defend against any attacks from evildoers that will eventually get hold of the passwords is to chroot jail them.
Right?

Alex.

I would use UML/qemu to make a virtual machine for this purpose where they then can do the uploading.
Nicely seperated from the main system.

Regards,
Benedict

--
Benedict Verheyen                   Debian User
http://www.heimdallitservices.be    Public Key 0x712CBB8D