Re: How much disk space to install Sarge ?

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:57:51PM +0100, William Wolfe wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Can anyone please tell me how much space you need to
> install Debian-Sarge with the Debian-Installer rc3
> release ?
>
> I've just tried a 2.3Gb partition,  and its sitting
> there with its legs up in the air.
>
> A bit of background........
> I'm new to this list, so if I'm in the wrong place
> please let me know. This is my first experience of
> installing Debian. I'm trying Debian after SuSE and
> DamnSmallLinux.
>
> I am building the Desktop configuration (selecting
> Desktop, when given the option for partitioning and
> selecting 'tasks' or bundled package installations for
> particular purpose, desktop, mail server, print
> server, etc )
>
> I've installed twice now and both times run out of
> disk space :-(
>
> First time I tool the guidance recommendations for
> disk partitions in Debian Installer, but 1.3Gb wasn't
> enough.
>
> The second time I read the documentaion, it says you
> need 2.058 Gb to install and an Installed size of
> 1.5Gb to run.  But it overran the partition of 2.3Gb
> !!
> Sarge Installation Manual, Section C.3. - Disk Space
> Needed for Tasks,  available @
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/
>
> When I look at the Base-config.log it has run out of
> space at the point of unpacking the
> openoffice.org_1.1.3-8_all.deb package.
>
> Before going through this experience again I'd like to
> take some advice to reasure me I'm not going to run
> out of space again. It takes me 2 days of anticipation
> to do an install and this is getting to be a bit too
> much of an anticlimax.
>

> many thanks for any help you can offer.
> W.

I just have done a fresh install of Sarge (as of Nov '04) and the
minimum install + x-window-system-core + windowmaker comes to around
160Mb. I can only advise you to use one partition only and to do a
minimal install first ( no X no nothing). From there you go on and
install what you *really* need.

Hth,
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred