Re: Using entire screen on laptop

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:54:06AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Jimmy B wrote:
>
> > Hi list!
> > I recently installed debian sarge on my laptop, and I just realized
> > that the output does not fill my screen completly. It is kind of lika
> > box in the middle with lots of space around the edges left black.
> >
> > Anyone knows what I can do to make more efficient use of my screen?
> > Also, how could I change the resolution?
> >
> > Oh btw, I am not using X.
>
> Some laptops have a "stretch video to fit screen" option (or something
> similar) in their BIOS setups. You might look into this.
>
> Otherwise, you might need to feed a "VGA=xxx" option to the kernel at
> startup (or add it to /etc/lilo.conf or grub's config), where xxx is a
> video setting. (But I'm not familiar enough with this option (I think
> it's related to the framebuffer) to offer more info.)
>
> --
> Kent

Hi,

in '/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.7/Documentation/svga.txt.gz' from
'kernel-doc-2.x.x' package you will find an explanation for the
different options. Basically, you can start with 'vga=ask' and work from
there.

Kents advice about the BIOS should however be your first try, I remember
solving the problem you have in the same manner.

Hth,
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
                 Key-ID: 0x81073379