Re: kernel source

On 13 Apr 2005, Serkan Calis wrote:

>I have 8 of 14. But there is no kernel-source. I have those 8 in my
>sources.list.
>But surprising matter is that how kernel-source couldnt be in the 8 one?
>
>I think it must be in 1-2 ?  But not.

Michelle basically answered your question, but I wanted to elaborate
that there is no one package "kernel-source".  There are multiple
kernel-source packages with the version appended to the package name.

For example:

    kernel-source-2.4.27
	kernel-source-2.6.7

The command

     $ apt-cache search --names-only kernel-source

will give you a list of the kernel-source packages you have available.
Choose one.  (I'm sure other people on debian-user will help you choose
if you don't know which is best.)  Install it with:

    $ apt-get install kernel-source-x.x.x

That will give you a bzipped package in /usr/src.  You will have to
unzip it:

    $ cd /usr/src
    $ tar xjf kernel-source-x.x.x.tar.bz2

(Sorry if these instructions are more complete than you need, but I
wanted to make sure everything was clear.)

Good luck,

Laura Melton
--
ASCII silly question, get a silly ANSI.