Re: [OT] Re: uk general election

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 03:55:33PM +0200, Bob Alexander wrote:

> >>Dear Geoff,
> >>good luck with your plight but please understand that writing you are
> >>against spam and writing this note to this list is a bit contradictory
> >>to say the least.
> >>
> >>Bob
> >>

> >Ouch. At the very least I should have marked it OT, so apologies for
> >that. Would it have been more acceptable, though, if I had not disclosed
> >why I wanted the discussion and just asked the questions? I'm sorry you
> >think I've spammed the list: I'd be mortified if this was the majority
> >view. Thanks for your reply, Bob, anyway.
> >

> Dear Geoff,
> I regret if I have been harsh. Not my intention at all (English is not
> my mothertongue and therefore could be losing the nuances. Thought that
> a "Dear","good luck" etc. prologue would show my sympathy). I would
> personally have preferred a short note pointing out to a web page
> (forum, wiki) that I could go to if I was interested reading about your
> stances and proposals. Marking OT is a good behaviour.
>
> The disclosure of the cause of your questions is frank and I appreciate
> it but I consider this to be irrelevant to my observation on the content
> which I expect on this list.
>
> Debian-user web page says the purpose of this list is: Support for
> Debian users who speak English.
>
> I agree with others saying politics should be of interest to us but when
> I subscribe to a debian-user list it is not for that purpose.
>
> Of course this might be only an issue to me and again I wish you luck
> with your cause.

Actually, thinking about it, there might be a few who agree with you. I
certainly wish I had a website up, but I've never had one and I'm acting
a bit on impulse at the moment - there doesn't seem time to do anything.
I'm astonished that English isn't your first language - I've only just
noticed the .it in your address.

Cheers

Geoff