Re: Sarge vs. Sid

Thanks. If I start pulling from experimental, should I expect to start seeing a lot more breakage than I see with sid? Because I really have no stability problems under sid.

- Christian

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
Christian Convey wrote:

Hi guys,

Is it the case that we're waiting for Sarge to get released before Sid
starts carrying any seriously disruptive packages (like KDE 3.4)?

Yes.

If so, what's the reasoning for that policy?  Is the idea that anything
going into Sid right now is intended to hit Sarge before Sarge is
released, so we want to keep Sid pretty tame?

Packages automagically filter from Sid to Sarge unless RC bugs are
filed against the package.  Very disruptive packages (e.g., KDE,
gcc binary ABI changes, glibc updates, etc.) must be carefully
coordinated and would certainly hold up an impending release.  If
you are already tracking Sid and want some of the latest and greatest
versions which are being held back to prevent Sarge breakage, then
just grab them from experimental

Thanks,
Christian

You're welcome.