Re: dvd error... "mount: not a directory"

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 05:10 pm, Curt Howland wrote:
> Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:
> > How about that /mnt/dvd is a link, file, or some other file that's
> > not a directory, or that there is no /mnt/dvd?
>
> I've got only one drive in my machine. I noticed that mounting a DVD
> by using "$ mount /cdrom"  works fine. No need for a specific DVD
> mount point.
>
> After all, both /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd point to /dev/hdc without any
> difference in their fstab entries, so why not? Same thing
> with /dev/cdaudio.

If I understand you correctly, you have a /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd.  That's
good.  Now check your /mnt directory.  From what you're saying, you may have
a /mnt/cdrom directory, but NOT a /mnt/dvd.   Try creating a /mnt/dvd
directory, then see what happens.  The devices in /dev do not serve the same
function as the directory you mount to, so you probably don't have
the /mnt/dvd directory yet.

Hal